Saturday, April 21, 2007

Age old conversations

Darksday, June 26, 1020. 10 PM.



"The sky is dark, but the night is still young! There is much to be done tonight, sweetheart," I whispered to Eponine. As we sat there in the cool desert breeze waiting for our party to arrive, we pondered an age old discussion: Which was "better" Paladin, or Ninja? "I enjoy the Ninja class, but as hard as I try, I cannot put myself in harm's way between our party and the beasts here."

"Well, I wouldn't go that far, honey. You do a great job of keeping the attention of these brutes on you and away from us. Ninjas just don't know how to cover their team in an emergency like a Paladin can--it's like you forget that ability or something when you ask your moogle to change your class. Luckily you can still provoke the mob's attention with your warrior support role. That always helps. Besides, we've traveled all the way to Aht Urhgan as our team of my Red Mage and your Paladin, darling. We've only come half as far or so as a Bard and Ninja team. I'm sure you will shine as a Ninja in the days to come just as well as you have as a Paladin... except, um, err... minus the shiny armor and stuff," she said, giggling.

"Heh. Something like that, I hope. I can still be your valiant knight on the inside even if I hide in the shadows, right?" I asked.

"Of course!" she exclaimed. "You'll always be my knight in shining armor... as long as I can always be your fair maiden!"

"There could never be another, my dear. You will always be m'lady. But truly, how do you think I fare as a 'Brave Sir Ninja?'" I joked.

"Actually, I think you've been doing quite well. And I wouldn't say it's all because of your armor, either. Surely it is of great help, and many thanks are still owed to all those who helped us get it for you. But it is you who makes it all work. Your training as a Paladin has given you much knowledge to bring to the table of the Ninja. You have strengths and weaknesses with each class, sweetie."

"Yeah--my Ninja relies and casting shadows to prevent damage, and thus fast hitting mobs like the Mandies in the jungle can prove a triffle more difficult than other mobs. My Paladin, however, relies on straight defense and vitality to take less damage, as well as the ability to magically heal some of that damage away. However, I have limited mana with which to heal myself as a Paladin, whereas I am limited only by the amount of gil I wish to spend on shihei as a Ninja. So my Ninja might be able to survive longer against the same mob... that is, once I reach the same level as my Paladin?"

"Perhaps, but everyone needs a team, darling," she replied. "While your Ninja may often need less support from the mages to heal you, your Paladin has much more natural abilities to keep the attention of our prey focused on you and you alone."

"This is true.. and this will remain true even once both my Ninja and my Paladin have reached level 75. However, I'd have to say that as an average geared Ninja, I will be naturally better at dealing damage than I could as an average geared Paladin. Those shuriken, for example, are quite handy," I remarked. "Well, perhaps we can ponder this more later. It seems our party has finally arrived, dear."

1 comment:

Alison the Amazing Thief said...

Cutest conversation ever! I totally understand her love of the pld. My favorite too. Can't resist the knight in shinning armor.