Saturday, July 14, 2007

And thus, Boswen was born! (An old tale revisited)

Iceday, April 27, 1026. 11PM



Get the accompanying music:
*Click me, click "Download to Computer" and play me through your favorite music player.*

And lo Boswen did arrive in the great realm of Bastok on that historical day. A great hero was born who cared not for fame or fortune, but for the hearts and lives of his people. Boswen did enlist as an adventurer early in the morning and thusly proceeded to cast many an horrible fiend into an horrible pit of Hell. By strength of sword and bravery of shield Boswen did hasten to enhance his skills against the foul beasts of the air, evil creatures of the sea and vile monsters of the land. Many unjust souls he did send to their maker. Never a kind-hearted one would he harm, but as he grew stronger, he continued to observe the ruthless wrath of the Evil One and his minions.

After much righteous shedding of blood, Boswen began the seemingly great Odyssey back to town from the Konschtat Highlands. That night he harkened to the tale of a Great War of 20 years past, wherein the Evil One enlisted the aid of most of Vana'diel's beastman, such as the troublesome Quadav. The plague of their race waited outside the very doorsteps of Bastok seeking to steal the life, kill the friends, and destroy the hope of the newest recruits. These villainous Quadav preyed on the helpless new adventurers who had ventured out past the average worms and bees of the area to seek harder prey that would be worthy our their new found but over-estimated skill.

*Play me*

Boswen tirelessly pore over the teachings of his companions and other great ones that had come before him for many days and nights. He strove to grasp the wisdom of the ancients and make use of the knowledge that so many before him had gained through much sacrifice. After many hardships, Boswen was finally granted the class of Paladin. With even more fervor than before, Boswen honed his strengths and continually increased his defenses.

*Play me*
(Original: music157.bgw)

After an innumerable extent of moons has passed, Boswen was asked to investigate the whisper of a traitor in the midst of the San d'Orian knighthood. The trail eventually led him to slay not one, but two evil orcs with the help of many trusted companions. As a reward for his efforts, Prince Trion himself awarded Boswen with an honorary knighthood and a new piece of armor befitting of a great knight.

*Play me*

At that very moment, Boswen stood up and said, "I swear to forever protect the weak and the powerless and never allow the shedding of innocent blood while I still have breath my lungs. Ne'er again shall I allow such calamity to befall my friends as what happened twenty years ago! I shall become the bane of all that is evil and the curse of all that is undead!"

*Play me*
(Original: music190.bgw)

Committed to the service of my God, my country, and my companions, I set out that day with my loving wife and my colleagues to continue to hone our skills and prepare for the battles to come. Yes, my friends--I, set out to do these things. For it is I that have been watching over you and protecting you as I wove this tale for you. Our merry band of adventurers has grown ever stronger and ever larger since that day long ago. But one thing has never faltered--my commitment to all that is good and true. Ever shall I strive to protect to innocent and banish the evil from this realm.


*Play me*
(Original: music159.bgw)

Alas, my tale must come to an end for now. The powerful potions I have received from the Aht Urhgan guild of Alchemists is beginning to fade and with it goes my memory. I can feel my very thoughts solidifying behind what fast becomes a sleep induced barrier. As my mind drifts off into the land of dreams, I pray that it stays in Vana'diel, far away from the Nightmare of Diablos's dreamworld, Dynamis. But do not be afraid, good readers. For I go to where my mind may weave another tale for you. Fear not, I shall return again one day. You, dear reader, shall be my audience and I shall once again be your gleeman. Grace, mercy and peace be with thee until we meet again. Fare thee well.




Note: The original .bgw files from whence the midis were made can be played by downloading a plugin named "in_ffxi.dll" for Winamp. Most FFXI music data (i.e. the .bgw files) is located here or somewhere near here (based on installing FFXI to the default location):
C:\Program Files\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\sound\win\music\data

No comments: