Thursday, December 28, 2006

The Great Republic

07-29-1012


As I arrived here, I was greeted by a kind welcoming committee and shown around Bastok. After spending the day viewing all the sites of this wonderful city and getting a good grasp of my surroundings, I decided to retire for the evening. One of the benefits of this wonderful adventurer program is the free studio apartment they give us. The kind townsfolk explained to me how to get to my apartment--they call them "Mog Houses" here. What exactly is a "Mog" I wondered. It didn't take long to find out. Upon entering my room, I was greeted by a marvelous creature called a "Moogle." I had seen them in the brochures but thought for sure they were some type of hologram. In fact, I think I startled the poor Moogle. I reached out my hand to try to put it through what I thought was an empty image. Instead, I nudged him in the stomach and suddenly pulled back my hand, shocked. "I'm sorry, I didn't think you guys were real," I told him. "There's nothing like you on my home world." "Oh, I didn't mind, Kupo. The other Moogles told me this might happen, Kupo!"


It was odd to have this servant-like creature at my beck and call, but also somehow comforting. He explained to me all about the "job" system and how armor and weapons worked here. It was not so different as I had imagined--probably much like the medieval age was back home, with a few exceptions. I could probably equip anything I chose back on my home world, had I the strength to carry it. Here, however, there was some kind of magic that bound armor and weapons to specific job classes and experience levels. Some armor was even bound to an individual's soul and could not be used by another.


So, with the day nearing to a close, I decided it was best I get some rest. The first few nights were slept on the uncomfortable floor, but I didn’t mind. I did some errands for the local townsfolk as best as I could for a few days, trying to earn money to buy a simple bed. I sure wish they furnished these places too. The Moogle told me that I would have a furnished room if I visited the other nations. I planned to do just that -- if only so I could sleep in a nice warm bed. In the meantime, I learned a lot about this adventuring thing from the townsfolk, my Moogle, and other adventurers. I couldn’t wait to get my armor and a decent weapon so I could start training to protect my wife when she arrived.

1 comment:

Alison the Amazing Thief said...

I'm was a big fan of "borrowing" the beds from the homes in South Sandy. They never seem to use them oldly enough. They just stand downstairs like lonely retired grandparents waiting for the kids to visit. They never even noticed me. I have two beds now just to make sure I always have a good play to sleep when I'm home.