Thursday, December 28, 2006

A New Land

I had originally planned to release this post as one long entry, but I decided to split it into five parts for easier reading. I've been working on it off and on since Christmas Eve morning, so I hope they are well worth it. So without further ado, I give you my sudden burst of first entries in character. Enjoy!


07-28-1012


I am called Boswen. I was born on my home world as "Bowen," belonging to the Swan clan. This world was in the 4th month of its 436th year at the time. A new life and a new world requires a new way of thinking--so I try to base my time lines upon this world. Some would say that I am nearly 600 years old--surely a magical being like the once immortal elves of the distant lands of Lothlórien. Few from this world know of that place. Nay, I would guess that some might have even traveled here from there. Had I told the townsfolk my age in their terms, some would think I had gone mad or would simply not believe me, while others still would be frightened of me. I am only 22 on my home world, so I thought it best to choose a similarly suitable age for this world. The concept of age doesn't seem at all like that of my home world. Why, I know some friends that arrived here in Vana'diel on its 938th year--that's nearly 74 years ago! Where they were born or what their true age may be, I do not know. But they don't seem a day over 30! Some wonderful mystery about this world is it's ever-present youthfulness. Sure, many of the townsfolk range from young children to wise elders, but the adventurers seem to have a youthful fire that burns within them—even the gray-haired Elvaan.


When I had signed up to become an adventurer back on my home world, the form only asked for one name--neither my given nor my surname, just a name. It was as if Vana'diel’s adventurer recruitment stations wanted to create a sense of unity or something--or perhaps just didn't care. They said that some of the townsfolk were the only ones with traditional given names and surnames. Adventurers were known only by their first name and country of citizenship or preferred job class. Examples they gave were great adventurers such as "Alison the Amazing Thief," "Argentos of Windurst" or sometimes just by first name, such as "Guankim." By the suggestion of my dear wife, I combined my first name with my clan name to form "Boswen." New life, new thinking, and now I had a new name. They also suggested I seek the assistance of local guilds, such as "The Treant Alliance" or "Wings of Fire," or "Thumb Monkeys."


I arrived in Vana'diel on what was the 3rd day of Vana'diel's 12th month, in the 966th year of the first age. That was almost 45 and one half years ago, according to this world. If I had aged that much on my home world, I would have been considered "over the hill" by now. Here in this great land, however, I feel as though I am barely into my youth. Even though time seems to move much faster here, my physical body seems to age much slower. My years in Vana’diel will surpass the age of my parents soon--quite an odd feeling. When last I saw them, I was leaving their land to travel to Vana'diel and enlist in Bastok's adventurer program. I always wanted to see new places and try to really do some good for the world. I had hoped that I could do both this way--maybe even become one of the great Mythril Musketeers I read about in all the brochures. I can no longer remember my true age, but it matters not anymore. I plan to live out my days here as a citizen aligned towards a lawful good nature. I have always been an honorable and kindhearted soul that enjoys helping others in need and would gladly lie down my life for that of my friends.


I regretfully missed the turn of the millennium here--it must have been a sight to be seen, or so I imagine. What struck me as odd, however, is that none of the four nations here had any kind of celebration to commemorate the new millennium. Why, back home it was a grandiose event! Everyone was worried that the coming of the third age would cause mass problems with their primitive technology. At the same time, everyone was celebrating the coming of the New Year and the end of the present one. In this world, celebrations of Christmas cheer and the New Year only happen once every 25 years or so. Could it be that this world moves 25 times faster than my home world!? It sure doesn't seem as such. Days and nights here don't seem any different than at home, save for a much more beautiful horizon as far as the eye can see. Mayhap I just don't notice the ever passing of time.

1 comment:

Alison the Amazing Thief said...

lol yay for Thumbmonkeys! And I'm a big fan of the shorter broken up posts. I have a short attention span. I'll make sure to keep an eye on your blog now that I see you started writing on it again. Looking good!